Saturday, January 2, 2010

Hopes and Dreams for 2010

Yes, my friends, it's that time of year again. The time of year when we all think of New Year's Resolutions, some of us seriously intending on completing them, some of us because it's the "thing to do". I'm usually one of the latter folks. I have resolutions, I just don't like to put a time frame on them,write them down, share them with anyone, or take them seriously. :)

I think 2010 is going to be a BIG year for our family. I'm excited for all it will bring, so I decided that I wouldn't pick a few resolutions that I fully intend on not keeping, but that I would put thought and feeling (and time limits) into this year's resolutions.

So, as "they" always say you should do, I am writing my goals for 2010 down and sharing them with the people I love most in hopes that all of my dreams for this year will come true! Here goes:

trip1
Personal Goals:

1. I will not eat myself into oblivion during this pregnancy. I gained 44 lbs with Anslie and I am determined to stay within the healthy weight gain range the doctors have recommended and not gain any more than the 35 lbs I am supposed to this time. If I do gain more than 35 lbs, it will be from nutritious foods like fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, and lean meats. Not Taco Bell and Baskin Robbins.

2. I will power walk at least 1 5k while I am pregnant. This will require some preparation that I HATE passionately, but I WILL DO IT!

3. I will not be induced. Period. (Unless, of course, the baby and/or I am in danger).

4. I will work for a natural birth. I prepared for it with Anslie and got to 8 centimeters without an epidural. I don't regret my decision to get pain relief with her delivery, but I really want to experience that urge to push. I know what to expect now and I am not afraid of the pain.

5. I will be more patient with both my husband and my child. I get frustrated and snippy very easily. I would like to blame that on the hormones raging through my body, but really, it's just me. (Okay, some of it really is the hormones.)

6. I will keep my home reasonably clean at all times. Clean enough that I won't be embarrassed if someone stops by unexpectedly.

7. I will eat out less. I would say that during most of my first trimester, we ate out probably 5 out 7 days of the week. Yuck. I like to cook and it makes me feel all warm and domestic inside to be able to put a home-cooked, healthy meal on the table for my family to enjoy. Plus, I hope this will help me with goal #1.

8. Spend money less frivolously. I balance the check book. I know how much money we have and where it is all going to. I have to learn to tell Kevin "no" when we have run out of funds. I have to learn to tell myself that too. And I think goal #7 will help with this as well.

quad1
Family Goals:

1. We will purchase a home by June of this year. I would like to be in escrow no later than April 30th so that we can take advantage of the tax credit the government is giving out to first time home buyers. As soon as we find a home we love we will put an offer in. I hope that will be this month so that we can move in in February. That will give me lots of time to prepare our home before the arrival of baby #2.

2. Spend more time together. We don't spend a lot of our free time apart, but sometimes I am in one room, Anslie is playing in another, and Kevin is in another. We're all home, but we are doing our separate things. Sometimes this is necessary, especially for my sanity. But sometimes we need to bite the bullet and hang out together even when we don't feel like it.

3. Plan what we want to do on the weekend before the weekend is here. We never think ahead and spend half of Saturday staring at each other and saying "what do you want to do today?" Lame. If we just put a little effort into finding out what is going on around town, or making a list of things we need to do ahead of time, not only would we be much more productive, we could actually enjoy Kevin's day off, feel more content to not run around during the week, and therefore help out with my personal goal #7.

4. Get Anslie potty trained. She had the desire months ago and was doing really well, but because we moved and were traveling so much, I didn't push her or even follow up on it for that matter. I am at a loss as how to go about this without her pooping and peeing all over my house. If anyone can recommend any literature on the subject, I will pick it up ASAP. I want to get her used to going on the potty and wearing panties well before the baby is born so she doesn't regress.

trip2
Professional Goals:

1. I will apply for my business license THIS MONTH!!! I need to research the particulars, but I promise, Shillawna Ruffner Photography will be an official, legitimate business no later than February of 2010!

2. Re-vamp my website. I have been so fortunate to be able to figure out how to turn a blogspot blog into a "website" up until now without it costing me a dime, but I am ready to take things to the next level. My website is so important and it needs to showcase my work in the best light. It's worth the money I will have to spend if it makes me a more successful photographer.

3. Book between 2 and 4 sessions per month consistently by the end of the year. This may not seem like a lot of work but while my babies are small, I have no desire to put my family on the back burner and be a business woman. My priority is my husband and my children and I am lucky that my husband is supportive of my gallivanting around town taking pictures of strangers and spending every dime I make at it on photography equipment. I will not take advantage of his support. And I will not miss a moment of my children's lives.

4. Network! I want to step out of my comfort zone and meet other photographers who are just starting out, at the same place, or more advance than me so we can get to know each other, build one another up, and make our work stronger. I don't view another photographer in my location as my competition. I view them as a comrade, someone whom I could potentially help and/or learn from. I have plans to attend some Photography Networking meetings this month!

5. Along the lines of goal #4, once we do buy a home, wherever that may be, I would like to host my own photography networking meetings for the local photographers in the area. I realize that I will more than likely get laughed at when little ole' me contacts them and says, "hey, let's get together so you can teach me everything you know for free...." but that's not my intention. I want to foster good business relationships with the other photogs in the area, and build a community of nurturing growth and learning. Give the "big guys" a chance to strut their stuff and us little guys a safe environment to ask questions and learn. I think it will benefit all who attend.

6. Have a custom logo made by the end of the year. I have made some contacts and I hope they are interested in working with me. I think it will help me in my ultimate goals for my business and contribute to the overall professional package, as well as aesthetic appeal of what I offer.

So, there you have it. I laid it out there for the whole world to see. This is what I want for 2010. I am anxious to get started and excited to see where my endeavors will lead me. I wish everyone the best for this upcoming year and my wish is that all of your hopes and dreams for 2010 come true!

6 comments:

The Bowldens said...

i am excited to see what you end up doing this year! good luck with everything. sure do miss ya!

Anonymous said...

You have some awesome goals! I know you'll accomplish them all! Happy New Year!

The Anglesey Family said...

I think your personal goals are almost dido to mine.
Good luck on the business license....I just got through that process...It's a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Lechelle said...

Great Goals! Wishing you the best this year!

Amy said...

Hey there! So I know you don't know me, but I'm Cathy Horger's big sister :-)

I would like to recommend a blog that is mostly about parenting but also photography if you're interested. becoming-mom.net

I know this woman and although I disagree with her parenting style a lot of the time (its the nanny in me!!!) I think she is a wonderful photographer and on her blog just today she recommended other photography related blogs and whatnot that she reads and the pros and cons of each.

About potty training, I always say go right into panties, I think pull-ups are a waste of money and drags out the training process (adds another step...). So you have to be dedicated! Also something important, when and/or if she messes her pants it's important to have her help with the cleaning process. It's not fun for you and it wont be for her either, which encourages her to use the potty (just be positive about the whole process).

Best of luck with your goals!!!!

Anonymous said...

wonderful goals! I absolutely love your family pictures and your SP too!