Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Latest News

The two previous posts were emails that I sent out to family and friends. I was made aware that some of you didn't get it, so I decided to post the info on my blog. The first post was orignally written on Tuesday, the second on Wednesday.

So, here is where we are at today:

Anslie underwent her endoscopy yesterday. It seemed to be a fairly easy procedure, only taking about 30 minutes. The GI told us that everything looked normal in her esophagus and stomach. I was relieved, and not. The only abnormality they found was in her upper intestinal tract. There were little white spots, spots that the GI said we all have, but that were unusually pronounced in Anslie's intestins. They biopsied her esophagus, stomach, intestins, and these little white spots. No explanation was given about what these little white spots could be, only that they could possibly be the reason why Anslie isn't gaining weight, but probably have nothing to do with her aversion to food. We are now waiting for the results of the biopsy.

In the meantime, they have placed a pH probe through her nose, down her throat, and into her stomach for a 24 hr study. They will be monitoring her pH levels to see if acid reflux is an issue. I feel like they aren't going to find anything, considering Anslie has been eating really well the last couple of days.

This is the kicker. The docs are going to try and start Anslie on a supplemental formula to help her gain some weight quickly. When asked when we could go home, they told us that she could not be released from the hospital until she gained some weight. (She has lost a little weight since we have been here.) I was a little taken back because, with Anslie's track record, to me that meant we could be here for a very long time. The doc told us that if she refused the supplement or if it didn't help her gain weight then they would put a feeding tube in her to force it down her. Very upsetting, but necessary, I guess. (We should expect to be here until Tuesday.)

I told the doc about our situation with plans to move to NM and she seemed really worried about that, telling us that Anslie's weight issues would probably not be solved for more that 4-6 weeks, with the help of the feeding tube and an OT. She recommended that we either plan to stick around here until Anslie's condition is under control, or that we should put the feeding tube in, get her weight up, and then move to NM immediately and turn her treatment over to the Pediatric GI's there (in Albuquerque -- which will be over 3 hours away from where we will be living).

I'm not sure what to do. Anslie comes first, but Kevin needs to keep his job. We have high hopes that his boss will write a letter to the Academy and get another extension for Kevin. We'll see. I will update more when I have more info.

4 comments:

Erica said...

oh shillawna i don't know when you posted all this but i just read it! i'm so sorry you're going through all of this with little anslie. staying at the hospital is no fun and now for an extended period of time and the added stress about your move i know has got to be exhausting. i will be praying for you guy that God will bring healing to anslie first and foremost, but would also bring wisdom & clarity of mind for your decisions about moving! please keep us updated here on your blog!

Tera said...

I am so sad that you guys are having such a hard time right now. It seems that when it rains, it pours. You know you are welcome to come stay here as long as you need to.

Tiffany said...

I am sooo worried! I feel soooo bad that I am not there! I am glad the scope turned out clean....But I am sure you would like some answers. Kory and I are praying like CRAZY right now. We know how hard this can be. Please keep us updated if you have time....I really appreciated it!!! We love you guys!!

Jessica said...

Hey shill, Travis and I will keep you guys and your little one in our prayers.