Thursday, June 11, 2009

Can you blame me?

After LITERALLY two weeks straight of doing nothing but packing, driving, and unpacking, I'm starting to get a little stir-crazy! I really needed to do something other than put things in boxes and then take them out again. So, Anslie and I hopped in the car and went the the Roswell Zoo this afternoon. Now, that's the title, but I really think it should be called the "Giant Roswell Park With a Few Animals Stuck in Cages Behind Chain Link Fences". There, now that we have the title of the location fixed, now I can show you some pictures. Since I don't have any people to take portraits of, I thought I would take a few "portraits" of some of the wild life. (Sorry, no pics of Anslie. She pretty much just sat in her stroller and stared at the animals. Literally no reaction. I was pretty glad it didn't cost anything to get into the Giant Roswell Park With a Few Animals Stuck in Cages Behind Chain Link Fences!)

The Red Fox. He seemed bored. So were we.
I think this is the hairiest goat I have ever seen!
Pretty Falcon. This little lady couldn't take a bad picture!
Little baby goat hiding behind daddy.
It's always hard to get a good picture when your subject is behind bars. I couldn't believe how huge these birds were in real life!
I have no idea what animal this is. But he made a good show of pacing and grunting at us.
The Antelope. Strange looking animal. He seemed lonely.
A Bison. Or a Buffalo. I forgot to read the sign to find out which it was. It was shedding it's winter coat and looked really nasty. Smelled nastier!
And my personal favorites from the visit: The Geese.
I have never understood why there are always geese at every single zoo I go to. To me, it's like catching a bunch of sparrows or pigeons and throwing them in a cage and then charging people to look at them when they can just look in their back yard and see them for free. Without exception, there are ALWAYS geese at the zoo. Maybe there's something special about geese that I'm not privy to? Just in case there is, here are some really special portraits of the geese at the Roswell Park/wannabe Zoo.
Presenting, The Goose Series:
I don't mean to be judgmental, but it's hard not to be when you come from an area that had one of the world's best zoos in your backyard. Miss you , SD Zoo! Regardless of how lame Roswell's zoo was, it was really nice to get out and enjoy the fresh air. I'm sure we will be back. Keep an eye out for more super-fantastic animals portraits from The Giant Roswell Park With Animals Stuck in Cages Behind Chain Link Fences!

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm glad you made it and found a place to stay. My brother stays at the Marriott in Roswell. I told him to keep an eye out for Kevin. My brothers a riot, you guys would like him. Sorry the zoo is such a bummer. Glad to be living here.

Tera said...

That's pretty funny. We were just at our zoo today, and yes, lots of geese with huge poo!

Rachelle said...

Ok, so this post about the TGRPWASICBCLF was so funny I teared up from laughing. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me a bit of when we went to Lagoon.